The Railroad LMS Distinction

Sir Guy Granet Chairman of the LMS 1924 and 1927

Sir Guy Granet, LMS, Chairman. 1924 – 1927

LMS railroad electric units not to be confused with Railroad LMS (Learning Management System) were built in 1926–32 by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) for use on the Liverpool to Ormskirk line and the DC lines in north London. Having inherited systems with DC electrification, the LMS built a number of new 3-car electric multiple units. The trains were withdrawn in 1963 and 1964. In the 1923 grouping the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) inherited several suburban railways with DC electrification, including systems in Liverpool and London. These ran with the LNWR electric units and additional third class trailers that were marshalled in or between sets to increase train length to seven cars. The London-based units were withdrawn in 1963.

Railroad LMS

In 1926–27 the LMS received 28 driving motor thirds from the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Company, each with four 265 horsepower (198 kW) Metrovick motors, and 23 composite trailers from the Clayton Wagon Company and driving trailer thirds from the Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Company. Similar to the earlier LNWR electric units but with accommodation in compartments, seating being provided for 40 in first class and 240 third class,  and 11 three car sets were sent for use on the Liverpool to Ormskirk line, alongside the LYR electric units, the remainder being used on the Euston and Broad Street DC lines in north London. In 1932 additional cars were purchased to increase the London fleet to 25 three car sets.

Source: Liverpool Exchange; Wikipedia Commons.