What Are the Most Common Hazmat Transportation Mistakes?
What Are the Most Common Hazmat Transportation Mistakes? The DOT has identified human error as a contributing cause for most hazmat transportation incidents. (U.S. Department of Transportation. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.) As outlined by the DOT, these human errors may result from a variety of factors:
- Lack of knowledge leading to the mishandling of hazmat
- Lack of knowledge leading to undeclared shipments
- Lack of awareness that hazmat is present
- Failure to follow established safety procedures
- Lack of understanding of one’s role during an incident should one occur
- Lack of knowledge on how to respond to an incident if one occurs